General Information and Terms and Conditions

Verification of Identity
At the beginning of your first lesson you will be required to provide evidence of your residency status.
Please bring a copy of one or more of the following documents: 

  • a birth certificate or 
  • a certificate of identity or 
  • a New Zealand certificate of citizenship or 
  • an expired passport that has not been cancelled or 
  • a current New Zealand driver licence or 
  • a current New Zealand firearms licence 

For anyone unable to provide evidence of this, there will be a student form to complete and sign as classes are subsidised for New Zealand residents.  For those without residency status we do not require these documents but a full fee for the course must be paid.  Please see our administrator in the office if you have any questions or email

How do I know if my class has been confirmed?
Once you are enrolled and you have paid for a course you are automatically confirmed.  We will only contact you if your class is postponed or cancelled. To guarantee that you are kept informed, please make payment at the time of your enrolment. 

How can I pay for my course?
Payment by debit/credit card can be made online and is quick and easy.  If you prefer, select 'Internet banking' as the payment option at the time of enrolment. Please ensure the funds reach us within three working days of registration or your enrolment could be cancelled.  Alternatively payment can be made by cash or EFTPOS at our centre.

Please note: Your course registration will not be guaranteed until we receive full payment of course fees - secure your place early!

Will I get a receipt for my payment?
Yes - course instructions and your receipts will be emailed to you at the time of enrolment.  If you have not received these emails please ensure we have your correct contact details and check your junk/spam folders. 

What do my course fees cover?
Course fees cover tuition only (unless otherwise stated).  If your course requires materials then additional fees may apply.  We will advise you of this before your course starts.

How will I find my classroom?
Find the location of your classroom through your email by using our easy-to-read map, or simply come to the main office on the first night.

Where can I park?
All of our parking is free of charge to students. There are three dedicated carparks at the top of school.  Limited parking is available  on Pleasant Street.  Please ensure your vehicle does not block access to any driveways or access routes as emergency vehicles need clear access at all times.

I am disabled.  Can I access classrooms?
Many of our classrooms are accessible to users with disabilities.  Please contact us to ensure your classroom location is suitable and your needs can be accommodated.

What if I need to miss a session?
Please let us, or your tutor know, if you are going to be absent.  It may be possible to support your learning in another way with notes provided.

Why was my class cancelled?
Our courses need to bring the right number of people together to make learning great. Sometimes this means we have to postpone, or cancel a planned course. If your course does not have enough enrolments we will let you know by email. We work hard to get a course started so sometimes a course is cancelled at the last minute.  We apologise for the inconvenience but rest assured you will be sent an email to let you know as soon as we do.  To avoid disappointment please make sure we have your up-to-date contact details and check your emails regularly (including junk/spam folders).

Will I be refunded if a class is cancelled?
If your class is cancelled we will refund the full fee paid.

Will I be refunded if I cancel my enrolment?
If you are unable to attend a course and provide at least five working days notice before the course starts, we will refund your course fee or transfer your course fee towards a different course.  Refunds or transfers will not be given for withdrawals within five working days of the class start, or once a class has started. This is because we make decisions about whether courses can proceed based on the payments received at that time.


I changed my mind, can I try another class instead?
No problem! You can use any fee paid, in the same calendar year, as credit against any of our classes before the class has started. A $10 fee per transfer is payable and you will need to pay any difference in the course fees between the two courses.

Why was my session cancelled one week?
Sessions may be cancelled or postponed due to tutor sickness or other unforeseen circumstances.  We will do our best to notify you as soon as possible and we will try to offer alternative session(s) to ensure that your course is completed as advertised.  We regret that it is not always possible to offer alternative sessions at the same time as advertised.

I am on a temporary visa/I am a non-resident: 
If we receive government funding for a course, this funding is only for NZ residents and citizens. If you choose to attend a government-funded course and you are not a NZ resident, you will be asked to pay double the advertised fee. Please contact us to confirm the course fee payable.

My details have changed
Please do let us know of any changes to your email, work or home address.  Ensure we have your current mobile phone number so we can keep you informed about changes to your course and any other important information. 

Training Incentive Allowance
WINZ (Work and Income NZ) offer a supplementary allowance for beneficiaries to undertake employment related training.  You may be eligible to receive help with weekend or evening course fees, materials, stationery, text books, child care and travel costs. For further information contact WINZ on Telephone:  0800 559 009.

Can people under 16 attend courses?
It is not normally possible to attend courses if you are under 16.  Students under 16 years old can only attend courses with the express permission of the Director and Principal - please contact us for details. 

Can I get a certificate of attendance?
Students who attend more than 80% of a course can request a Certificate of Attendance.  Please let your tutor know before your last session of the course so that we can have it ready for you. 

Do classes run on public holidays?
There are no classes on public holidays.

What should I do in an emergency?
Please take note of the emergency/evacuation procedures in your classroom.  Ensure you are aware of the route to follow in the event of an evacuation and where to assemble. 

In the event of an emergency, please follow any instructions provided by your tutor or Onehunga Adult Learning Centre staff. If you need Fire, Police or an ambulance in an emergency dial 111.

What happens to my feedback/class photographs?
We reserve the right to use any feedback or photographs in our promotional material, including social media and print advertising.  Your consent is implied unless you notify us otherwise.

Can I smoke?
Onehunga Adult Learning Centre is smoke-free.  Smoking, including the use of e-cigarettes and vapes, is not permitted anywhere on the school grounds.

Where can I read your policies?
Our Community Learning Centre Advisory Committee together with our Board of Trustees sets all policies and assists in our community development programmes. Copies of all policies are available from the school office. We acknowledge some adult education funding is provided through the Tertiary Education Commission.

Does Onehunga Adult Learning Centre fund community groups?
We support many community groups. Contact us if you would like more information on how we can support your classes.